quarta-feira, 31 de agosto de 2011

The Eight - Part Six: Still Unnamed, accepting suggestions :x

Got bored with this one, I must admit.

My mom comes pick me up at school, like always, and I get home rather quickly which isn’t good at all because now I’ll be dead bored. I drag myself up to my run where I indulge myself in my usual pleasures: cheesy novels and dietetic chocolate.
When I’m about to end my book, tears running down my face (yes, even though I find them cheesy, I do cry), my mom calls me from downstairs. I wipe my eyes and blow my nose then walk downstairs. In my place, it’s important to have the right attitude. Running to my mom would be incorrect here. Everything must be done calmly and almost beautifully.
“Yes?,” I say, when I get to the living room. Mom’s there and so is dad. They have a serious look on their faces but, truth be told, they always do.
“Sit down, Hester, please,” my dad says. I do as he says.
“There’s this letter for you,” my mom says, and hands me an envelope which doesn’t reveal a sender. I open it.
“Oh,” I say. “It’s a letter from godmother and godfather.”
“How nice of them to write,” my mom says.
Only my old-fashioned godparents would send a letter instead of phoning. I guess they’re afraid of disturbing us, or something. My mom has a strange telephone policy, always turning it off during meals and some parts of the day.
I read the letter, which is shorter than usual. I’m surprised when I end it.
“They want me to spend my Easter holidays with them.”
“They do?!,” my mom asks. “But we have plans with your aunt and cousin!”
Oh yes. My Horror Holidays with Polly Weiss.
“They say they’re eager to see me again and that they’ve prepared a room in their house for me. With a view to the river, it seems. And it’s spacious, too. Their daughter’s old room, they say.”
“Well… That would be a pity to waste,” my dad says. “But why did they tell us with such short notice?”
I glance again at the letter. “They didn’t. This letter is one month old. How come it only got here today?”
“A month old?! What’s wrong with the post office?! I’ll make sure to stop by tomorrow and complain about this!”
“Please, do calm down, darling,” says my dad. “It’s no use getting so irritated about this. What we have to do is decide on what to do regarding our holidays. But perhaps Hester should call her godparents first. They must be wondering why they never got a response.”
“Yes, you are right. I apologize. You do that, sweetie,” my mom tells me so I get up and walk to the phone. I try to contact my godparents but they don’t seem to be home. I tell my parents this and they urge me back to the couch.
“I’m sure you’ll be able to talk to them later and clarify this situation,” my mom says. “Also, I think it would be sad to waste such a magnificent opportunity to get to know your godparents better, even if it means postponing our plans with aunt Beth and Polly. I’m sure they will understand.”
My dad nods in agreement. I manage to utter a “Yes, I think I could benefit from staying with them some time”, because the truth is, I’m really happy about this. Anything, anything is better than spending time with Polly. Anything. And my godparents aren’t that bad. Last time I stopped by their dog had had puppies and it was a lot of fun.
I walk back to my room and text away the good news. It’s only when I pick up my cell phone that I remember about Seth and I worry about him for a bit, but not for long because I’m happy and I want to go back to my book’s protagonist’s happy ending.

Sem comentários: