quarta-feira, 31 de agosto de 2011

The Eight - Part Seven: Plain

If you're wondering why the fuck this is here, read part 5's intro, please. It's only three posts down :D
Longest one. I like Christopher.
Part Eight comes later, whenever later is. Maybe two years from now xD

I’ve realized, wanting something badly enough isn’t at all the way to get it. Fighting for it isn’t going to make it work, either.
You could say being one of them is hard but being me can be harder.
Because at least they belong. They all have something in common.
Me? I’m just Will’s best friend.
There’s nothing special about me.
I wish I could say I don’t look ordinary or that I can turn my head all the way around or that my knees bend backwards. But there’s nothing of the sort.
I’m just an regular teenage boy.
For some time I tried to make myself look different, so I’d stick out. So I’d belong with them. But my ordinary face only goes well with a shirt and jeans.
I was made to not be special. To drown in crowds and become easily invisible.
Sometimes I think, that’s got to be what’s up with me. I’m invisible.
Except that I don’t want to be invisible. I want to stand out. I want to be hated by everyone.
And, mainly, I want to be loved by her.

My dog greeted me when I got home. I live in the same block as Will so I hadn’t been alone for long.
The house was empty aside from us, as expected. My parents were out on a business trip.
I fed and walked my dog. I remembered about Seth while I was outside. I checked my cell phone for news but there was nothing. I texted him.
Thinking about Seth is one of the very few things that makes me glad I’m normal. I’d never want to be like him.
That dude is seriously fucked up.
I would never, ever, tell anyone this, but I’m pretty sure about it. That sister of his, and him… That isn’t a normal brother-sister relationship.
Not on his side, at least.
No one should be that crazy about a sibling.

I was lying on my bed, staring at the walls when AJ called. She was in one of her moods. That’s the history of her life – she goes from super happy to super irritated.
“Yo,” I say, picking up.
“Hey, Christopher,” she says with an ice-cold voice.
“What’s up? You don’t sound so good...”
“Your buddy Will just ditched me. I mean, he was really rude and then I hung up and he didn’t call me back! Does he even understand anything?”
For some people reason, they like to complain to me about Will.
“But that’s not all!,” she continues. “I called Cassie after that, and guess what? Seems she’s gotten herself some hot guy from Mang fucking Street! She’s at his house! I don’t even want to imagine what they’re doing! She kept giggling on the phone and I bet it wasn’t for me!”
I remain silent. My eyes start to get wet and I try to convince myself boys don’t cry.
AJ stops talking, too. She must’ve realized who she is talking to.
“So,” I say, at last, my voice almost failing me. “What do you want from me?”
“Nothing. Sorry. I’ll… I’ll just call Belladonna. See if there’s news about Seth. You don’t know anything, do you?”
“Uh uh.”
“I’ll let you know if I hear something. Yeah. Later.”
“Later.”
“I’m sorry, Christopher. Really.”
“Bye,” I say, and hang up.
I curl up in my bed and cry my fucking eyes out until my cell phone starts ringing again.

It’s two hours or so after AJ’s call and this time it’s my parents.
“Hello.”
“Chris, darling? Is that you?”
“Yup.”
“You sound strange…”
“I’m just tired from school. You need something?”
“Well, actually yes, sweety. Your grandma is in the hospital – nothing serious, just some routine tests. Could you go and pick her up? I hate the thought of her wandering alone at night…”
I sigh. My grandma is a health maniac, always doing every sort of medical exams, when she’s the healthiest woman over 60 I’ve ever met.
“Okay, I’ll go…”
“That’s my boy! It’ll only take a few minutes. Did you have a good day?”
“Yeah, yeah, it was fine. When is grandma leaving the hospital?”
“In ten minutes or so, probably.”
“What? I should be half-way already! I’ll call you later! Bye!”
I hang up and run out of the house.

I get to the hospital just in time and walk towards it when its doors open and reveal Seth. He sees me right away. I sigh.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I like Seth.
He just creeps me out.
There’s something definitely off about him.
Maybe I don’t really like him.
“Christopher!”
“Seth! The fuck happened?!”
“Oh man. Sorry about that. It’s kind of a long story. You care to hear it?”
“Well, give me a second, I’m supposed to be picking my grandma. Let me check on her.”
I walk up to the reception, only to find out that my grandma’s exams were delayed and I’ll have to wait for more 15 to 20 minutes. I walk back outside, where Seth’s waiting.
“She’s late.”
“Let’s take a seat, then,” says Seth pointing to a nearby bench. “You hate hospitals, don’t you?”
“No, that’s Will.”
“Oh. Okay. Sorry.”
“Tell me your story, then.”
“Right. Okay. I know this is all going to sound really fucking weird but I swear it is the truth.”
“Go on.”
He goes. He explains the whole story to me, how he mysterious man from his dream stabbed his sister. In real life.
Didn’t I say this kid was fucked up?
He looks away when he finishes, appearing ashamed. And I know he is and I know why he is. But I’ll be damned if I’ll bring that up.
“Dude, that’s crazy. I’m glad Sekh’s alright. Must’ve been the scariest thing ever.”
“Yes,” he say, still not facing me. “It was.”
“But it’s alright now, isn’t it? So cheer up. Your sister will be up and about in no time.”
He grins and looks at me. “Thanks, man.”
“Just one thing. Why didn’t you tell us?”
“I… Left my cell at home.”
“Whoa. Worst day ever for that.”
“Yup, I know. Mind texting the others? In case they’re wondering about me.”
“Sure.”
“Thanks. I’m heading to Belladonna’s now, so I guess you won’t have to tell her. You staying?”
“Yes, since my grandma’s not done yet…”
“Oh, right. Sorry. Forgot about that. I’m so fucked up…”
“I’ve noticed. You go ahead. Belladonna can probably cheer you up better than me.”
He nods. “See you tomorrow, then.”
“Yeah. See you.”
He leaves without glancing back and I watch him going down the street.

I texted everyone and got some shocked replies. Nothing I wasn’t expecting.
I didn’t tell the whole story, though.
I don’t think Seth should tell it to anyone else, either.
Because that man from the dream… I may very well know who he is.
Seth’s conscience wouldn’t just let his biggest sin go by, would it?

3 comentários:

LA disse...

Oh se les as coisas ja fazes mais do que eu. Ultimamente nao tenho tido tempo para ler nada. Tou pra ler os teus posts ha tanto tempo :(
Mas sim, ando a postar imenso, aidna pensei em ir pro wordpress mas nao sei se tenho paciencia. Em relação ao interface... it's VILE!

LA disse...

Para ser sincera, a mudança foi-me quase indiferente. Aliás, foi mais interessante do que importante, se é que isto faz sentido. Simplesmente tenho outras prioridades. Eu acho que ha sempre uma altura na vida que a nossa perspectiva da uma volta enorme e nada volta a ser igual. Eu ja dei a minha. AL nao te vou mentir, eu nem me lembro do que falei contigo da ultima vez que tivemos no msn porque tu demoras tanto tempo a responder que eu acabo por me ir embora XD nao me das tempo para me aborrecer hahah :D

acredita, a pessoa de quem falei no meu post é grave. A conversa acaba sempre comigo a dizer "ah ya é bem... lol"

Mariana disse...

Olá Laura! Desculpa não ter respondido em Janeiro mas esqueci-me completamente.
Vim só aqui dar-te os parabéns! :D
Espero que esteja tudo bem contigo!*